top of page


NEW Smoke Detector Regulations for Scotland's homeowners....


The Scottish Gov't announced new Fire & Carbon Monoxide safety legislation which affects all Scottish homes (this extends the already high standard of protection from fire and carbon monoxide Landlords are already required to meet to protect tenants). This new legislation will ensure all households, including social housing are now equally protected.


The new legislation requires the fitting of interlinked Smoke & Heat alarms plus  'sealed'  Carbon Monoxide alarms.


It is also important to note, should homeowners ignore the new Legislation and should a fire occur their Insurance Cover may be invalid and may not pay out in the event of a claim. 

What types of housing will be covered by the new standard?

ALL homes will be covered by the new 'standard' as all homes should be safe for occupants regardless of tenure.

It will be the property owner’s responsibility to meet the new 'standard'.

Why are you introducing this legislation now?
Following the tragic fire at Grenfell Tower in London, a Ministerial Working Group on Building and Fire Safety was established to review Scotland’s building and fire safety regulatory frameworks. 

How many alarms are required to meet the new standards?
The standard requires:

1x smoke alarm installed in the room/s most frequently used for general daytime living purposes e.g. living room, dining room etc
1x smoke alarm in every circulation space on each storey, such as hallways and landings
1x heat alarm installed in every kitchen

All alarms should be ceiling mounted where possible and must be interlinked to each other.


Carbon Monoxide Detectors?

There is also a requirement for carbon monoxide (CO2) detectors to be fitted where there is a carbon-fuelled appliance (such as boilers, fires (including open fires), heaters and stoves) or a flue. The CO2 Detectors must be 'sealed for life' battery operated or a hard wired mains type. 

I already have smoke alarms in my home but they are not interlinked – do I need to change these to interlinked ones?
Yes, the requirement is to have all alarms interlinked as you may not hear the alarm closest to the fire but by having an interlinked system you will be alerted immediately.

There are lots of different types of alarms, which ones should I get?
There are two types:

1: Radio Linked tamper proof (sealed) lithium battery smoke and heat alarms   

2: Hard wired mains smoke and heat alarms - mains wired alarms need to be carried out by an electrician

Further detailed information on the requirements of the standard, including types of alarms, is set out in the Tolerable Standard Guidance Chapters 16 and 17.


How long do I have to comply?

The regulations come into force in January 2022, meaning homeowners and landlords have until then to comply, however installing alarms at the earliest opportunity will provide improved fire safety in your home.


I own my home – who will pay for these smoke alarms?
Any costs will be the responsibility of home owners and landlords. 


How will you check that home owners comply?
Most home owners want to make their homes as safe as possible and compliance will also form part of any Home Report when you come to sell your home. Because this will be a minimum standard for safe houses, local authorities will be able to use their statutory powers to require owners to carry out work on substandard housing.


In the event of a house fire your insurance may refuse to cover the costs of repairs/replacement of belongings etc.

If you wish to discuss your property and what it may need, give us a call or use 'Contact Us' section.

Further information inc. the full document can be found at the Scottish Gov't website:

bottom of page